There are tons of cartoon and comics blogs by comics and cartoon professionals. Here's one by an electronic technician for the USPS.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

frankenscanner


A lot of art guys keep old Macs around to run a legacy scanner. Here's mine which I call "Hoopty", which is also its network name. It's a second revision 266MHz Beige G3 that I had since late '98, bought on the eve of the Blue & Whites. It has since been upgraded to 288 MB of RAM, 40GB hard drive, and USB, 100Base-T Ethernet, and SCSI PCI cards. It dual boots OS 9.2.2 or OS 10.2.8. I prefer that later. The Microtek A3-sized scanner runs off the the PCI SCSI and "Frankenscanner" runs off the mobo SCSI.

Nothing but the best in trailing edge technology here!

I got the Frankenscanner set up and running yesterday. The bottom is an old HP 4C scanner that I've had since late '95. The document feeder is from an HP 3C that I picked up at a junk shop last year for $15. The rest of the 3c got made into a light box. I lugged the two together and broke down and bought Vuescan third party software to run it. That document feeder is quite nice. Just stick a 1 cm stack of papers in there and then walk away and let the scanner do all the shuffling and work for as long as it takes. I should have cobbled the thing together much earlier!

My Mom is selling a chunk of the family farm to a renter. It is the chunk that would have been where I would have put the model rocket factory and maybe the Mable clones if Fun Rockets would have worked out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home